maven (noun) -someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any field; an expert or connoisseur; experienced.

fresh (adj) -original, vivid, cool, fashionable, sparkling, green; not previously known; new or different; not altered by processing.

Rebecca + Sesheta = MavenFresh

Friday, January 20, 2012

PFMs Do It Better: Getting Carrie Bradshaw Waves


It's no secret to anyone that knows me...I love Carrie Bradshaw and her signature hairstyles. One of my faves that's so easy to recreate is her big messy waves (hair-did here and here.) Best part? Whether your hair is fine, thick, frizzy, or pin straight- you don't have to master a curling iron to own this style!   

1. After showering I prep with two pumps of Pantene Split End Repair in my palms, and work it into my damp hair starting at the ends. It works wonders. I stop halfway up...and there's no need to comb it through. 

2. Then I spray Bumble & Bumble Styling Lotion with abandon, concentrating at roots. Blow dry with a diffuser, while lightly scrunching. This styling spray gives you soft volume and adds to the textured-piecey-disheveled look that we are going for. Try to keep ends free of product for more movement.

3. Once hair is dry, the real action begins. I was a loyal curling iron fan until my hairstylist turned me on to the Hot Tools Deep Waver and now it's become an addiction. This is one purchase that you will never regret! My hair is thick so I like to adjust the heat setting under 400 degrees and section my hair half-up before making waves.  Just clip the top layer of your hair up in a loose bun and start underneath. We are going for deep beautiful waves...grab (approx) 2 inch section of hair and start several inches down from your roots with the first clamp. Repeat. Repeat again, if you're hair is at all on the longer side like me. Three clamps per section is my motto. Keep going till your entire head is full of waves! If you have bangs- play with what you like best. Most times I just blow dry them straight, but if I'm in between bang trims I've been known to clamp 'em!

4. I love CHI especially in the winter time when my hair is dry. So put a tiny pea-size amount in your palms, and smooth onto hair. You can play with this to get rid of flyaways, add shine, or run your fingers through sections to define. If you have fine hair, take care to use less of this product.

5. My secret weapon for volume- Graham Webb Thick Infusion Weightless Body Spray. Spray it (a little goes a long way) around the roots/crown of your head till about half-way down. We are going for lift, volume, and thickness here ladies...just like the name says. This stuff delivers. Using hands, gently push up at ends of hair a couple of times so that you have lift from roots to tips. Think fluffy.

6. Then grab your teasing/lifting comb. I like the inexpensive Conair comb, and using the metal teeth I pick up and lift wherever volume is needed. Focus the action around the top of your head where we just sprayed in step #5.  Now if you are in the mood for Glamorous Soft Wave Carrie...gently brush out your waves. If you would rather do Chic Textured Wave Carrie (very me!) leave as is.

7. Finish it off with Sebastian Shaper Zero Gravity Hairspray. It's brushable and touchable, but still adds control...yay!!!!!!!! 

Hope you enjoy your waves for days! 

xoxo Becca

2 comments: