maven (noun) -someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any field; an expert or connoisseur; experienced.

fresh (adj) -original, vivid, cool, fashionable, sparkling, green; not previously known; new or different; not altered by processing.

Rebecca + Sesheta = MavenFresh

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

PFMs Healthy Living: Food Lockdown?

Not sure if y'all are a fan of The Office (personally I love it) but a recent episode made me want to share something important. In it, Darryl was getting all down on himself, explaining that he's never been a lucky guy "Who gets a soy allergy at 35? And why is soy in everything?" This had me laughing, then had me remembering. OK so I am not yet hitting the 35 mark, but I did just recently find out a have a soy sensitivity. And did I mention that I've been a vegetarian my whole life? And that so much of my diet consisted of soy?

I'm sure you know someone with a food allergy, but "food sensitivities" are also quite common and because these reactions are much less violent and dangerous they are potentially more deceptive and often left undiagnosed. I was struggling on and off with migraines, fatigue, weight gain and digestive issues, but it was so easy to just write it off as not getting enough sleep, or just eating a little too much, etc. Since I've always been such a health conscious eater, there may have been some denial that my issues could be food-related. Then I reached a point when I knew it was time to focus on getting answers.*

two of my favorite foods- edamame & tofu

It could mean that something you ate last Friday is causing a headache on Monday. It's very difficult to find out the connections between your symptoms and specific foods, but so worth it to find out! One way of doing so is a food elimination diet, which is a pretty common solution. There are plenty of variations, but here's a simple example: eat clean for seven days, avoiding meat, fish, wheat, citrus fruits, dairy, soy, corn, caffeine, alcohol, bread, eggs, sugars, peanuts, artificial food colorings or preservatives. No packaged foods! Try hard to increase your intake of whole foods, including fruits, grains, vegetables, and protein sources. I made lots of fresh vegetable juices and fruit smoothies. And then on the eighth day begin to introduce foods back in one at a time. It's very important to keep a food journal of what you eat, the way you feel throughout the diet, and any changes in weight. This will get you to connect the dots. Don't forget to pump up the probiotics during and after the elimination diet. It will re-establish the proper balance of healthful bacteria in your intestines which was probably depleted if you have a longtime food sensitivity.
 
i highly recommend this acupuncture office!

With the help of my amazing friend who is an acupuncturist we customized an elimination diet plan that I stuck to for over 30 days. This was also combined with daily Bikram yoga classes, weekly acupuncture sessions, and some Chinese herbs before introducing any potential food culprits back in. I was determined to detox my system and bring it back into a state of balance. I can't begin to tell you how much better I felt; and how bittersweet it was to find out out soy had been the cause of my symptoms. I also realized a few more things about myself along the way...like my body doesn't really love dairy. Or gluten. And I don't always need to drink wine with dinner. Ha. But hey- all in moderation, right? I am taking a much-needed break from soy, but may try to reintroduce it in a year or so. In the meantime I have so many other delicious options to choose from, and I learned a few tricks along the way. Who needs soy milk in a cappuccino when you have coconut milk? Seriously. Side note: I've developed a strong love of rice pasta. (And breakfast smoothies with a handful of spinach.) Sure I most likely will have lots of questions about the menu when we go out to eat in a restaurant, but that's fine with me. Having to be creative with food choices can bring delicious results, so just go for it...you can only get healthier and feel happier. I have a big ol' food journal full of unique recipes and positive reactions to prove it.

* Disclaimer: a 30 day elimination diet is likely to cause weight loss, clear skin, heightened energy, and decreased stress levels. Be prepared for good things! If you have questions about any of the above suggestions, don' t hesitate to ask.  As with any health advice, please consult your health practitioner(s) to prepare a plan that best suits you.

No comments:

Post a Comment