maven (noun) -someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any field; an expert or connoisseur; experienced.

fresh (adj) -original, vivid, cool, fashionable, sparkling, green; not previously known; new or different; not altered by processing.

Rebecca + Sesheta = MavenFresh

Thursday, October 11, 2012

PFMs in the Kitchen: Silky Butternut Squash Soup


Can I admit a somewhat shameful secret? Here it is...I've actually never used butternut squash in a recipe before. Chalk it up to sheer laziness (the thought of cutting, peeling, and deseeding didn't thrill me) but with the cool weather here I had to step it up and create one of my favorite soups. Really-how can I call myself the Soup Queen without having a trusty butternut squash recipe under my belt? This is the soup that reminds me "hey, it's fall." Just curious, is anyone bringing this mustard jewel-tone color into their autumn wardrobe yet?

This recipe was inspired by the ultra-talented Andrea Beaman, a Natural Foods Chef and Health Coach. She's a master of simplicity who really knows her stuff, but I always like to tweak a recipe to make it my own. There were a few spices that I wanted to add, and I also decided to pour organic coconut milk into the soup. I swapped out the last cup of water for a cup of vegetable stock and eliminated the pumpkin seeds and parsley (though they make a pretty garnish.) Using a hand-blender was less fussy than the food processor. All in all, I came up with a silky flavorful soup that had my husband going back for seconds. Yum...I will be eating this again for today's lunch. Success. xoxo Becca

You need:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 butternut squash, peeled and deseeded
2-3 inches ginger, peeled and chopped
5 cups water
1 teaspoon sea salt

How to:
Saute the onion in olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Add squash, ginger, water, vegetable broth, and sea salt. Bring to boil, cover and simmer until the squash is soft (about 15-20 minutes.) Using a hand blender, puree until the chunks are gone. Pour in the coconut milk and blend again until super-smooth (save a bit for garnish if you wish.) Add your seasoning and continue cooking, stirring with a spoon for another 2 minutes. Serve and top with a dollop of coconut milk.

Why I love these ingredients:
There's not too many of them=simple and fresh. Yay! Butternut squash contains an ample dose of fiber, vital for a naturally cleansing and rejuvenating lifestyle. It's also rich with antioxidants that fight free radicals and have anti-inflammatory effects (great for asthma, arthritis and premature aging.)

No comments:

Post a Comment