maven (noun) -someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any field; an expert or connoisseur; experienced.

fresh (adj) -original, vivid, cool, fashionable, sparkling, green; not previously known; new or different; not altered by processing.

Rebecca + Sesheta = MavenFresh

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

PFMs in the Kitchen: Asian Pilaf (just like mom would make)

My mom is an incredible cook, baker, chef...period. I grew up the daughter of a health-food mom. Soda, Doritos, and Fruit Loops simply did not exist in my house. Chocolate was carob and I lived for soy-cheese sandwiches with avocado and tomato on sprouted bread. I came home from school and the house always smelled like good cooking. It was awesome. If only you could have been around when I was young and enjoying sea salted bread-sticks made from scratch, or super-delicious pizza with homemade dough. My best friend still talks about those dinners! Wow, Tofu Taco Night ruled. Of course times change, life gets complicated, and you can't always have your mom cooking and baking for you. Ha. I may not have much of her gifts in the kitchen, but I do love to eat lots of healthy, tasty food. So I try my best to encourage Leta to break out the pen and paper when she has something simple and yummy to share with me, especially since most of her recipes are either stored in her head or made up on the spot. I get instant inspiration from the best source! This dinner is a slight variation on her original recipe. Gotta change it up a bit you know (and can't give away all of Mom's secrets!)

You need:
1 small onion chopped
3 large garlic cloves chopped
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp grated ginger
1 large handful orzo pasta (or spaghetti broken into 1-inch pieces)
1 cup brown rice
1 tsp vegetable bouillon (optional)
1/2 cup steamed broccoli
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 tbsp hoisin sauce 
1 tbsp red curry paste
1-2 tbsp tamari to taste

How to:
Cook the onions first in the oil, then add the garlic and ginger. Add the pasta to mix and stir until it's slightly browned and the onions are translucent. Add the rice and stir. Pour in 2 cups water and the veggie bouillon (if using) mix, and cover. After bringing it to a boil, simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes, then add the hoisin, red curry paste, and tamari. Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes, now stir in the frozen peas. Simmer again for another 10 minutes and give it a try to make sure the rice is cooked. Toss in the steamed broccoli at the end and mix well. Yum!

P.S. Don't feel too bad for me...I still get to pick up homemade granola on a regular basis!
xoxo becca

No comments:

Post a Comment