maven (noun) -someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any field; an expert or connoisseur; experienced.

fresh (adj) -original, vivid, cool, fashionable, sparkling, green; not previously known; new or different; not altered by processing.

Rebecca + Sesheta = MavenFresh

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

PFMs Music Corner: R.I.P. Whitney Houston

my first introduction to Whitney

i loved every song on this album!



i still can't believe that Whitney is gone.  since saturday, i've heard just about every song she ever released.  two things occurred to me: 1) she really was a powerhouse singer and 2) she had tons of hits.  i knew this but it wasn't until i heard these songs back to back that it came to me just how much of an influence she had on my life - as a child of the late 80's/early 90's and as a musician.  we had her second album at home and i literally played it over and over again.  i practiced and later sang "The Greatest Love of All" in my school talent show in the 5th grade.  my rendition of the song was the reason i was invited back to perform again the following year (even though i hadn't planned on taking part).  when i think of the beginning of my love affair with music, Whitney was definitely there from the start. ...but instead of going out with grace,  her story ends as just another artist who couldn't keep the influence of drugs out of her life.  though i laugh at her worst days and some of the comedy skits about her, i am still really saddened at how she expired and that we will no longer be able to hear her amazing voice.  i am also saddened for her daughter, who is left to pick up the pieces.  

despite my sadness, i am happy that Whitney is free of her physical addictions.  she wasn't able to pull it together while still on earth but now she will no longer have to struggle.  just like Michael, regardless of how she died, she will always remain one of the greats of our times.


1 comment:

  1. So, so sad. I can't believe it either. I feel the same as you, I will always remember her as one of my first music loves...R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete